Registration for the 2018-19 School Year at the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School begins: December 1: Currently Enrolled Families
December 15: New Families
At the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School we live the Jewish and universal values of kindness, respect, compassion, and responsibility. Contact Managing Director Anne Liss Johnson at 203.322.6541 to schedule a tour. Click here to download the registration form.
“The experience of being in a preschool program for two-year-olds provides tremendous opportunity for social and emotional growth for your toddler,” said Anne Liss Johnson, managing director Stamford’s JCC Sara Walker Nursery School. “Interaction with peers, including sharing, creating and imagining together, leads to tremendous language development and social growth.”
“Tour the school and take notes,” Johnson continued. “How does the environment feel? Is it warm and nurturing? Are the teachers interacting with the children? Do classrooms allow for choices and varied experiences? Does the school have educational guidelines established to stretch the children socially, emotionally and educationally? Do the children look happy?”
JCC Sara Walker Nursery School programs are designed to help children learn in an interactive and playful way while giving them the skills they’ll need for school. The curriculum is driven by the Jewish values of kindness, respect, compassion, confidence and responsibility, and the JCC warmly welcomes children of all faiths, ethnicity and backgrounds.
The school is located at 458 Lakeside Drive, on the park-like grounds of Temple Sinai in North Stamford. For a tour, contact Managing Director Anne Liss Johnson at 203.322.6541 email@example.com
Community. Caring. Respect. Offering flexible scheduling with extended days!
Preschool program for children ages 2 to 4 and pre-K
The JCC Sara Walker Nursery School is recognized for its outstanding Jewish curriculum, its excellent staff, and its commitment to the highest educational and professional standards.
While our curriculum is driven by the Jewish values of kindness, respect, compassion, confidence and responsibility, we warmly welcome children of all faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds. In addition to academic and social development, your child will benefit from weekly swimming instruction in the Jewish Community Center pool, gym time at the JCC led by a recreational specialist, and plenty of fresh air and physical activity. JCC Sara Walker Nursery School students and their families also enjoy the advantages of membership at the Stamford Jewish Community Center.
The school is set on the spacious park-like grounds of Temple Sinai in North Stamford, 458 Lakeside Drive, Stamford, CT 06903 / Phone 203.322.6541.
It’s time to register for the 2017-2018 school year at the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School – call now for a tour! Please contact Managing Director Anne Liss Johnson at 203.322.6541 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JCC Sara Walker Nursery School's curriculum is designed to help children, ages two to four and pre-K, become confident learners and feel good about going to school. Children learn through play while gaining knowledge and competence in reading readiness, science and nature, physical development, social skills, art, music and dramatic play. A Judaic curriculum is integral to our program. Children experience Jewish traditions and holidays through song, stories and celebrations.
Education is enhanced by access to the full range of unique resources available exclusively at the area's only full-service Jewish Community Center. Membership is required in order to enroll at the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School, and parents become part of the larger, caring community provided by the Stamford JCC, which boasts 5,000 members and dozens of recreational, social and educational programs.
Utilizing developmentally-appropriate educational principals and practices, the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School takes a child-initiated and teacher-directed approach to learning. By capturing and building on a child's natural enthusiasm, the school's professional educators begin to instill a love of learning and help children build the self-esteem that is essential to giving them the confidence to do well in school and in life.
The school's curriculum includes many enhancements, including weekly music education, a live-animal nature program, a beginning science program, classroom guests, dramatic play, art, movement and dance, and indoor and outdoor play. Children also utilize JCC facilities, including its indoor pool (recognized as one of the best teaching pools in the area), and its acclaimed youth sports program.
The JCC Sara Walker Nursery school is fully licensed by the State of Connecticut. Staff members are fully certified, experienced, caring professionals. Regular staff development programs ensure that children benefit from the most up-to-date teaching methods and concepts.
Click here to download the 2018/19 registration form. Registration for new families begins December 15
Click hereto learn about the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School Parents' Association.
JCC Sara Walker Nursery School Add-on Programs Extend Your Child’s Day!
Twos Extended Day at the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School 2-year-olds Children enrolled in the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School Twos program can stay for an additional hour of play.
Mondays, 12 – 1 p.m. Sept. 17 – Dec. 17 (No class Sept. 24, Oct. 1, Nov. 12) $220 exclusively for members (11 sessions)
Tuesdays, 12 – 1 p.m. Sept. 18 – Dec. 19 (No class Sept. 25, Oct. 2, Nov. 6) $220 exclusively for members (11 sessions)
Wednesdays, 12 – 1 p.m. Sept. 12 – Dec. 19 (No class Sept. 19) $280 exclusively for members (14 sessions)
Thursdays, 12 – 1 p.m. Sept. 13 – Dec. 20 (No class Nov. 22) $280 exclusively for members (14 sessions)
Friday Twos 2-year-olds Add one more day a week of fun at school for your two-year-old. Children will have story time, craft projects, playground play and more. Children must be enrolled in the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School Twos program to participate.
Fridays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Sept. 14 – Dec. 21 (No class Nov. 23) $924 exclusively for members (14 sessions)
Afternoon Fun – New Flexible Extended Days at the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School 3 – 4 years Let the fun continue with 2 additional hours at school. Afternoons will include quiet story times, playground play, craft projects and more. Held at the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School.
Offered Monday – Thursday from 1 – 2 p.m. and 2 – 3 p.m. Fee is $16/hr. Register at the JCC SWNS office.
10 Tips to Ensure a Successful School Year for your Preschooler
1. Good Night’s Sleep Make sure that your child gets a good night’s sleep before coming to school. Pediatricians and experts recommend 10-12 hours of sleep and getting your child to bed between 7 & 8 PM.
2. Teamwork Parents and teachers should work together as a team. Establish and maintain an open, clear channel of communication with your child’s teacher. Tell the teacher if something has changed in your family. Work together to discipline or potty train your child etc.
3. Create A Sense of Responsibility Teachers focus on creating independent children who can hang up their own jackets on their personal hooks, put their shoes on, toilet themselves, clean up toys, use manners and much more. Try to encourage these actions at home. Ask your child to help you carry the groceries inside or put the laundry away. Show him or her how to fold clothes and set the table. If you start these simple tasks now, they will habits by the time your child is old enough to do them well. They will give your child a sense of responsibility for themselves as well as others.
4. Good Role Models Be a good role model for your child. Make sure that your child sees you behaving, adhering to rules and showing chesed (kindness) to others. As a parent you need to teach it, model it and reinforce it.
5. Play Dates Set up play dates with the other children in your child’s class. Children who play with their classmates outside of school build stronger bonds, which are noticeable when returning to their classrooms.
6. The Best Kept Secret Try to stay off your cell phone when driving in the car especially on the way to and from school. With no distractions you will find that it’s a great time to talk to your child and catch up on what’s going on in their lives outside of home. School is first on their minds, and they are more likely to share news about their day.
7. Show an Interest in Your Child and School Show your child that you are interested in his or her school experience by asking specific facts about their day, by attending school events and by reading the materials provided by the school. Teachers work very hard to prepare monthly curriculums and weekly newsletters to keep you informed of the daily happenings in our school.
8. Brain Power and Energy Make sure that your child eats a healthy breakfast before school. The hours that your child is in school are action-packed with learning experiences and physical activities. Children need nutritious food in order to get the most out of school.
9. Bring Your Child to School on Time Children like adults, do not want to join a group when it is already in progress. Being on time teaches your child that promptness is important and tardiness is unacceptable.
10. Routines and Rules Set rules for your child. Children need to know what is expected of them. Be consistent with meal times, bed time and getting dressed for school. If necessary have your child choose his or her clothes the night before to avoid conflict in the morning.
For more information on parenting and family life, join us for #raisingtodayskids, the JCC Sara Walker Nursery School’s new early childhood lecture series. For more information, contact Educational Coordinator Sandi Waldstreicher at 203.322.6541 email@example.com.
Day Camps@The J begins Monday, June 25. Please note new parking procedures during the camp season. General JCC Parking: When entering the JCC, please make a right turn at the stop sign and park in either the right upper or lower lots ONLY. Camp